Dr. Luis Schut, emeritus professor of pediatrics and neurosurgery at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Medicine, died in Laguna Woods, California, on January 31 from chronic ischemic heart disease. He was 85.
Dr. Schut was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He came to the United States in 1955, and after a rotating internship and one-year period of training as a psychiatric resident, he was accepted for neurosurgical residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania by Dr. Francis Grant one year prior to Dr. Grant’s retirement. He completed his training under the direction of Dr. Robert Groff.
In 1959, he became an assistant instructor of neurosurgery at Penn. In 1962, after his residency and following a period of training in neurosurgery at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, Dr. Schut returned to Penn, where he served as an instructor and then professor of neurosurgery until his retirement in 1996. In 1969 he was appointed chief of neurosurgery at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia; he remained in that position until his retirement.
In the series of histories of CHOP written by Shirley Bonnem, she describes Dr. Schut as one of a handful of faculty members responsible for establishing CHOP as a landmark children’s hospital. He was also a pioneer in the treatment of congenital anomalies of the central nervous system, craniofacial anomalies, management of pediatric head trauma, hydrocephalus and brain tumors. He was a founding member of the American Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery, the International Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery and the American Board of Pediatric Neurological Surgery. Dr. Schut was president of the Joint Section on Pediatric Neurosurgery in 1977 and received the Section’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001.
Dr. Schut is survived by his wife Lydia (GM’58); sons Andrew (C’85, LPS’11), Edward and Henry; and eight grandchildren, including Rebecca Schut (C’16).