Theodore Sande, former lecturer in the department of architecture, died August 11 from congestive heart failure. He was 84.
Dr. Sande was born in New London, Connecticut. He earned his BS in architecture from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1956, then served in the US Navy. He earned his master’s of architecture from Yale in 1961. He joined an architecture firm in Providence, Rhode Island. He was there until it closed in 1970.
Dr. Sande then earned his PhD in philosophy from Penn in 1972. During his time in school at Penn, he served as a teaching fellow in GSFA, now the School of Design. He was a lecturer in architecture, 1976-1977. He had stints as a visiting lecturer or adjunct at Rensselaer, Williams, Case Western, Cleveland State and Ursuline College.
He worked for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1975-1981, where he rose to vice president in the office of historic properties. He then served as executive director of the Western Reserve Historical Society, 1981-1993, and he was a member of the Cleveland Landmarks Commission, 1985-2004. He was co-founder and first president of the Society for Industrial Archaeology.
He is survived by his wife, Solvieg Inga-Maj Imselius; his children, Susanne and Lars; and three grandchildren.