As of July 1, 2019, the way you apply for Family Medical Leave (FML), Short-Term Disability (STD) and Paid Parental Leave (PPL) is changing. Through Workday, there is a self-service portal to initiate the leave request process. In addition, the University will be working with a third-party partner, Broadspire, to review and approve new leaves.
To apply for FML or PPL leaves after July 1, 2019, log into Workday and follow the steps outlined in the Workday tip sheet and summarized below.
- Go to the Workday “Time Off and Leave Application”
- Click on “Request Leave of Absence”
- Enter the “First Day of Leave” and the “Estimated Last Day of Leave”
- Click on Leave Type “FMLA” or “PPL” and scroll down to locate the type of FMLA or PPL leave you are requesting
- Once the request is submitted, you will receive a notice to contact Broadspire. To complete your leave request you must either call Broadspire at (866) 357-1122 or complete an intake form that can be emailed to Broadspire (you will be directed to the link for these forms after you complete the Workday steps). Please keep in mind that your submission will not be complete until you call Broadspire and provide the required information. Broadspire will determine whether your leave will qualify for short-term disability and will supply you with the appropriate paperwork.
After July 1, 2019, no FML, STD or PPL paperwork should be sent to the FMLA Administrator at the University, or to your department HR administrator. Any leaves that are in progress as of July 1, 2019 will automatically be transferred to Broadspire. A Broadspire representative will contact you about taking over administration of your leave.
If you are currently on an approved FML, PPL or STD leave, there will be no changes to your approval. If your request for a FML, PPL or STD leave is pending as of July 1, 2019, Broadspire will take over the review process and will communicate a decision to you. Any certification form(s) you had previously submitted to your employer will be shared with Broadspire. Any new certification form(s) you will need to submit as of July 1, 2019 must be mailed or faxed to Broadspire at:
Broadspire Services Inc.
PO Box 14773
Lexington, KY 40512
Fax: (859) 550-2744
—Division of Human Resources