The Deans of the health schools of the University of Pennsylvania (Perelman School of Medicine, School of Nursing, School of Dental Medicine, and School of Veterinary Medicine) announce an Award for Excellence in promoting One Health initiatives and education.
The One Health concept is a worldwide strategy to expand interdisciplinary collaboration and communication in all aspects of healthcare. Interdisciplinary One Health efforts arose with the goal of sharing knowledge of health care and preventive measures to attain optimal health for people, animals and the environment. Government, professional and academic institutions around the world have committed to promoting these important One Health efforts to improve global health.
For more information, visit Penn Vet One Health.
The four-school One Health Committee invites nominations for candidates who are full-time staff or faculty members engaged in professional education that bridges two or more of the schools with outreach/innovation in training and service in clinics or to the community. Collaborative research focused on healthcare education, clinical outcomes, or real-world impact will receive more favorable consideration than strictly laboratory collaborations. The winner(s) will be awarded the prize at a reception on Wednesday, November 8, 2017.
- Developing a multi-school clinical service/teaching program
- Providing training in communications/outreach to more than one school’s professional students and/or interns/residents
- Including more than one school’s students in a clinical experience
- Building bridges between healthcare specialties in animals and humans
- Creating multidisciplinary programs that improve healthcare or prevent famine or disease outbreaks
- Developing a research program or project that crosses schools to increase the impact of a promising line of discovery
To nominate a staff or faculty member from the Penn community, send a letter of recommendation, which describes the candidate’s contributions to: One Health, Cerie O’Toole at email@example.com by Friday, October 6, 2017.