From the Office of the Provost
March 15, 2016, Volume 62, No. 26
Excellence through Diversity Fund: Call for Proposals: April 25
The University is pleased to call for proposals for the Excellence through Diversity Fund. The Fund, announced in the Penn Action Plan for Faculty Diversity and Excellence (Almanac September 6, 2011), will provide resources for interdisciplinary projects of University faculty on topics relating to equity, inclusion and diversity, with the goal of strengthening the Penn curriculum in these areas and recognizing excellence in these important fields of inquiry. Funds will be awarded to the Schools competitively, on a matching basis, to provide needed term resources to launch new efforts or strengthen existing ones, beginning July 1, 2016. Proposals should include a description of efforts to obtain funding from other sources. The Fund may support:
- Implementation of the Schools’ strategic plans to diversify faculty and student populations;
- Research on equity, inclusion and diversity in higher education;
- Projects that foster and support diversity on the campus;
- Faculty work on projects aimed at advancing the ideals of the Penn Compact as they relate to increased access of students and faculty.
A list of projects funded last year can be found at: https://almanac.upenn.edu/archive/volumes/v62/n02/penn-excellence-through-diversity-projects.html
Criteria for Review
Review and evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Relationship to the aims of the Fund as described above;
- For projects aimed at diversifying the campus environment, clarity of goals and procedures and presence of an evaluation plan;
- Potential for sustainability and/or impact over time with school, center or extramural funding, particularly as demonstrated by matching funds;
- Likelihood of generating new insights about diversity in higher education;
- Presence of a realistic and sufficiently detailed budget;
- Potential for sustainable partnerships among schools, departments or university programs.
Proposals are due by April 25, 2016.
The Fund will be administered by the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty. Proposals will be reviewed for scholarly merit and significance for diversity research, teaching and service. Priority will be given to innovative designs and to plans that involve multiple Schools.
Applications must include:
- A completed ETDF Budget Form, available with PennKey at: https://upenn.app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_27011277491
- A completed ETDF Cover Sheet (with all signatures) and Proposal Form, available with PennKey at https://upenn.box.com/s/0sdo5jxh0mzdnelk59xxvzxpkp7nkq64 including: background; work to be undertaken; ability to enhance Penn’s teaching, research and engagement on issues relating to equity inclusion and diversity; and demonstrated interdisciplinary linkages;
- Brief biographies of faculty members involved in the project. Please limit to key faculty; CVs are not required;
- Evidence of additional funding from institutional or external sources;
- Outlook for the future of the project (continued activity and external funding);
- For conference support: a description of the purpose of the meeting; a proposed program agenda and list of presenters; the names of Penn faculty organizing the meeting; the number of Penn students and faculty expected to attend; an explanation of the benefit to Penn students and faculty; an explanation of the benefit to scholarly or research programs at Penn; an explanation of the relationship of the meeting to department, institute or center programs.
Email a complete PDF, including signed ETDF Cover Sheet, Proposal Form and Budget Form, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 25, 2016. The name of the PDF must be the last name of the principal investigator. At the conclusion of a project, the PI is expected to submit a DIP Assessment form to report the use of the funding.