Secure Share Interface Changes Coming December 4
November 25, 2014, Volume 61, No. 15
Interface changes are coming to the Secure Share file exchange application. Secure Share is a web-based application used to share documents with sensitive information across campus and it provides a secure and easy-to-use mechanism to ensure the safety and privacy of University data. As of December 4, the application will have an updated look and feel, and more intuitive interface similar to email.
Who Is Affected?
All Penn faculty and staff who use Secure Share to exchange (upload or download) files will be affected.
What Will Change?
Changes will include:
• More intuitive interface
• New look similar to email
• Ability to send short, encrypted messages in addition to encrypted documents
• Ability to select multiple files to upload at once
• Single page to add Recipients, Subject, Encrypted Message and file attachment (used to be multiple pages)
Benefits of Secure Share
Some of the key benefits of Secure Share are:
• Reduces the University’s exposure to data compromise issues such as identity theft
• Protects confidential data in documents, such as Social Security Numbers, financial information, health information, student grades, etc.
• Eliminates the need for individual departments or Schools to develop in-house secure file exchange systems
• Helps ensure that those who request confidential data are properly authorized to receive it
• Data protected by encryption when uploaded, downloaded and while stored on Secure Share
• Secure and easy-to-use application
For more information on how to use Secure Share for sending documents with sensitive or confidential information to targeted recipients at Penn, see the Secure Share website at http://www.upenn.edu/computing/security/secure-share/
End User Support
For help with Secure Share, users should contact their Local Support Providers (see https://secure.www.upenn.edu/computing/resources/content/get-it-help for a contact list).
For general information about Secure Share, visit the web site at http://www.upenn.edu/computing/security/secure-share/
—Joshua Beeman, Information Security Officer