Print This Issue

2011 Non Service Fellowship

December 13, 2011, Volume 58, No. 15

In the past the University’s Payroll Department issued letters to individuals who were paid a Non Service Fellowship through the University’s Payroll system as a courtesy, because Non Service Fellowships are not reported on Form W-2. The letter would contain the total dollar amount that the individual received for the fellowship along with the link to the IRS website and the phone number. This information was given to assist individuals with completing their current year tax returns.

Since the total amount of the Non Service Fellowship received can be obtained by accessing “MY PAY” on the Penn Portal (https://medley.isc-seo.upenn.edu/penn_portal/u@penn.php) under Payroll and Tax, the University will no longer issue these letters to individuals beginning with the 2011 tax year. In order to access “MY PAY” information the individuals will need their PennKey and password. Please note that if an individual received both Wages from a service position and a Non Service Fellowship in 2011, the service portion will be reported on Form W-2.

An individual can obtain additional assistance or instructions on how to report Non Service Fellowships on the tax return by contacting the Internal Revenue Service directly at 1-(800) 829-1040 or by referring to IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education or by visiting their website at www.irs.gov/individuals/students/article/0,,id=96674,00.html

Please pass this information along to individuals who are receiving Non Service Fellowships. *Individuals who are considered Non Residents for Tax purposes in 2011 will receive Form 1042S reporting their Non Service Fellowship *

If you have any questions, contact the Payroll Tax Department at (215) 898-7792, (215) 898-6573, or (215) 898-1543.

Payroll Tax Department

Almanac - December 13, 2011, Volume 58, No. 15