|Penn Forum for Women Faculty: Lecture and Networking—March 25
March 23, 2010,
Volume 56, No. 26
The University community is invited to attend an important lecture and discussion on Mirages of Equality: Progress of Women in Science at MIT, 1971-2009, by Nancy Hopkins, Amgen, Inc. Professor of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The event will be held on Thursday, March 25, at 3:30 p.m. in the Ann L. Roy Auditorium, Claire Fagin Hall, School of Nursing. It is jointly sponsored by the Trustees Council of Penn Women and the Forum for Women Faculty.
Dr. Hopkins is a member of the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She chaired MIT’s first Committee on Women Faculty in the School of Science. The committee’s 1999 report led to the examination of gender equity issues at MIT and ultimately at many other academic institutions. More recently, Dr. Hopkins served on a committee of the National Academy of Sciences that published the report Beyond Bias and Barriers: Fulfilling the Potential of Women in Academic Science and Engineering in 2007. This report called for a more aggressive approach to overcoming gender bias, in the interest of both fairness and American competitiveness in the global market.
The Penn Forum for Women Faculty was created by women faculty for women faculty; our mission is to build a community of women scholars that enrich the University of Pennsylvania by:
• Advocating for policies and practices that promote equity for women faculty
• Creating opportunities for education, professional skills building, networking, and cross-school and cross-disciplinary interactions for women faculty
• Providing advice to Penn’s administration on matters of significance to women faculty
• Enhancing Penn’s visibility as a welcoming community for women faculty
• Engaging with prominent women scholars and colleagues at other institutions to identify best practices for enhancing opportunities for women faculty
• Developing initiatives and programming for sharing with women faculty nationwide
Contact Forum email@example.com with your ideas for initiatives, training and advocacy.
2009-2011 Forum Council Members:
Stephanie Abbuhl, SOM; Sherri Adams, Dental, Forum President; Anita Allen, Law; Marjorie Bowman, SOM; Lois Evan, Nursing; Annette Fierro, Design; Vivian Gadsden, GSE; Olena Jacenko, Vet; Marsha Lester, SAS; Janice Madden, SAS; Susan Margulies, SEAS, Forum Vice-President; Nancy Rothbard, Wharton; Katherine Sender, Annenberg; Claudia Valeggia, SAS; Irene Wong, SP2.
—Sherri Adams, Forum President