Print This Issue

Marking Time: Historical Markers
November 6, 2007, Volume 54, No. 11



PGH Marker Unveiled
There is now an historical marker commemorating the old Philadelphia General Hospital (PGH) which closed 30 years ago, at the foot of the steps on the west side of the School of Nursing. The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) marker on Curie Boulevard was unveiled yesterday. It reads:

Marker Group
Founded in 1729, PGH was the nation’s longest operating public health care institution. Originally an almshouse, the hospital moved to this location in 1871. PGH implemented innovative medical care and education under Dr. William Osler, and the work of Florence Nightingale protégée Alice Fisher advanced nursing as a profession. Pioneering methods of cancer diagnosis and radiation therapy were applied. The hospital closed in 1977.   At the PGH historical marker dedication and unveiling, (left to right) Emanuel Kelly, Historic Preservation Board Member, Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission; Dr. Steven Altschuler, president and CEO, CHOP; Dr. P.J. Brennan, chief medical officer, UPHS; Stephanie Stachniewicz, the last director of nursing at PGH, and author of The Double Frill; School of Nursing Dean Afaf Meleis; Dr. Donna Gentile O’Donnell, managing director, Eastern Technology Council and author of Provider of Last Resort: The Story of the Closure of the Philadelphia General Hospital; and Dr. Julie Fairman, director, Barbara Bates Center for the History of Nursing.

The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology
Another PHMC historical marker will be unveiled next week at the Wistar Institute on 36th. The installation event will be on November 14 at 2 p.m., 3601 Spruce Street. The marker will read:

The nation’s first independent biomedical research institution was founded in 1892 by Isaac Jones Wistar. It houses the anatomical collection of the Wistar and Horner Museum. Many critical vaccines and the albino Wistar rats used in medical research were developed here.

Penn Relays and ENIAC
There is also a PHMC marker at the entrance to Franklin Field which was installed in 1995 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of  the Penn Relays (Almanac May 2, 1995); and in 2000 a PHMC marker was unveiled at SEAS to commemorate the invention of ENIAC, 55 years before (Almanac February 6, 2001).





Almanac - November 6, 2007, Volume 54, No. 11