Front Page

In This Issue

Compass Features

Job Opps



Between Issues




Almanac Homepage

Compass Homepage

Staff Box


Use of the University's Name

The University regulates use of its name, including Penn, University of Pennsylvania, the names of its schools and programs, its shield and related insignia, trademarks and logos ("insignia") to ensure that such use is related to the University's educational, service and research missions and promotes its objectives. Responsibility for overseeing use of the University's name and insignia lies with the Secretary of the University.

Official Use

When representing the University in an official capacity, all units of the University and members of the faculty and administration must use "University of Pennsylvania" in their publications and documents. Approved University stationary must be used for official correspondence.

University names and insignia may be used in connection with any academic University program provided that the program has been approved in advance by the responsible department chair and dean or director, and Provost, as appropriate. University units, faculty, staff and student organizations that wish to use University names or insignia in connection with any non-academic University program, activity, service or product must obtain the approval of the Secretary before proceeding. Requests to use University names or insignia must first be presented to the appropriate department chair and dean, director or, in the case of student organizations, to the the Vice Provost for University Life, for review. If approved by the dean, director, or Vice Provost, a request with supporting information must be submitted to the Secretary for review. The Secretary will review the proposed use and determine whether it is properly related to the University's missions and in consultation with the Provost, Executive Vice President and others as appropriate, whether the benefits of the proposed use outweigh any risks associated with the use. The Secretary may approve the proposed use, with or without conditions, or disapprove the proposed use.

Licensed Uses by Outside Entities

University names or insignia may be used on products or in connection with services offered by outside entities only under license form the University. Requests for such licenses are processed through the Center for Technology Transfer. If the Center determines that a proposed licensed use may be beneficial to the University, it may submit the proposal to the Secretary for review. The Secretary will review the proposal and make a determination under the criteria stated above and may take particular note of the nature of the produce, the proposed marketing plan, and the capabilities and reputation of the proposed licensee. If the Secretary approves the proposal, the Center for Technology Transfer is authorized to negotiate a license that is consistent with the terms of approval.

Outside sponsors of University programs or activities often seek to use University names or insignia in promotional or advertising materials. While the University is pleased to recognize the contributions of sponsors, such recognition must not suggest University endorsement of the sponsor's activities. Therefore, University names or insignia may not be used in connection with any outside entity's name or logo without the prior approval of the Secretary. In general, the Secretary will approve uses which recognize or acknowledge the sponsor's contribution to the University program or activity. Uses which, in the Secretary's judgment, may suggest University endorsement or approval of the sponsor's goods or services will not be permitted.

Private Use

University faculty, staff and students may refer to their affiliation or status with the University in connection with personal activities, including consulting, provided that the affiliation or status is accurately represented and any title or position is accurately identified, and provided that such use does not imply University endorsement of the activity. In some cases, a disclaimer of University endorsement may be required. (See, for example, the Handbook for Faculty and Academic Administrators). Use of University insignia in connection with personal activities is prohibited. The University's names must not be used in any announcement, advertising matter, publication, correspondence, or report in connection with personal or non-University activities if such use in any way could be constructed as implying University endorsement of or responsibility for any project, product or service.

Related Policies

All faculty, staff and students are reminded that University equipment, stationery, campus mail service, and electronic media are to be used solely for University business by authorized University personnel and by officially recognized campus organizations. See Human Resources Policy No. 3. Additional information on faculty and staff involvement in extramural activities and organizations can be found in the Conflict of Interest Policy for Faculty Members, and Human Resources Policies Nos. 5 and 6.

- Office of the Secretary

Return to:Almanac, University of Pennsylvania, October 14, 1997, Volume 44, Number 8