APRIL AT PENN
- The second session of the Tree-Tending course (announced in
Almanac April 8, 1997) scheduled for April 15 has been cancelled.
- 23 Brian Peterson Recent Photographs: Images from the Forest Light Series (1995-96) and the Earth Music Series (1995-96); Esther M. Klein Art Gallery; reception: 5-7 p.m. Through May 21.
- 15 Amnesty International: Human Rights Day; speeches, poetry readings and other activities; 11:30-2:30 p.m.; College Green (Amnesty International, Penn Chapter).
- 16 Finding External Funding for Grad School, a panel of Graduate School of Education students and staff discuss their advice and experiences in successfully applying for funding; 6:45-8:15 p.m., Room C-12, GSE (GSE Student Activities Office).
- 17 Gender and Sexuality in the Apocryphal Acts: A Panel Discussion; Eroticism in the Acts of Thecla; Shira Lander, religious studies grad student;
Non-Christian Celibacy as Autonomy?; Susan Marks, religious studies grad student;
Constructions of Pagan Women in the Apocryphal Acts; Beth Pollard Lisi, ancient history grad student; Scribal Eroticism and the Transmission of the Apocryphal Acts; Kim Haines-Eitzen, UNC, Chapel Hill; Desexing the subject: Resexing the Text: The Erotic
Narrative in the Acts of Xanthippe and Polyxena; Jill Gorman, Temple; 7-9 p.m.; Woody Room, Van Pelt-Dietrich Library (Religious Studies).
- 18 Higher Education Outcomes Assessment Symposium; moderators: Ursula Wagener, Marvin Lazerson and Michael Tierney, GSE and Larry Moneta, Associate VPUL; 8:30 a.m.-noon; Rooms D9 & 10, GSE; registration required; information: firstname.lastname@example.org (Institute for Research in Higher Education).
- Embryology & Cell Lineage in Taste Buds; Thomas Finger, University of Colorado; 11:30 a.m.; Monell Seminar Room, Monell Chemical Senses Center, 3500 Market Street (Monell Chemical Senses Center).
- 21 Chemosensory Transduction in Taste Cells; Sue Kinnamon, Colorado State University; 11:30 a.m.; Seminar Room, Monell Center (Monell Ctr.).
- 22 Taste Effects on Infant Behavioral State: Some Findings and Implications; Ronald Barr, McGill University; 11:30 a.m.; Seminar Room, Monell Center (Monell Center).
- Colonialism and the Revision of Cultures; Gyan Prakash, Princeton; Stephen Kaplan Lecture; 4 p.m.; Room 329A, 3401 Walnut (History).
Deadlines: The deadline for the May at Penn calendar is April 15. The deadline for the weekly Update is the Monday prior to the week of publication.
Volume 43 Number 30
April 15, 1997
Return to Almanac's homepage.
Return to index for this issue.