Complutense Universidad de Madrid
- In February 1992, an exploratory visit to the Complutense
Universidad de Madrid by a number of faculty members resulted in several
specific initiatives for scholarly collaboration. Penn's delegation to
Madrid included Professors Peter Berthold, Eduardo Glandt, Francis
Johnston, Charles Mooney, and Mary Naylor. The following are among the
projects that have been initiated as a result of this visit:
- The anthropology department will jointly sponsor with physical
anthropologists in Madrid a NATO seminar, to be held at El Escorial in
Spain in 1993. Other projects will include faculty exchange and are
expected to extend to cultural anthropology. In addition, several Penn
graduate students will be invited to participate in an ERASMUS seminar
on evolution in 1993.
- The chemical engineering department launched an exchange program
in which Penn undergraduate chemical engineering students participate in
summer laboratory research internships. In exchange, Complutense will
send faculty or postdoctoral scholars to Penn for specified periods of
- The School of Dental Medicine has agreed to student exchanges for
short-term practica, which will be followed by faculty exchange and
- The Law School will engage in information and bibliographical
exchange to allow both schools access to resources about each country's
legal systems. Faculty exchange activity in international law has been
proposed, to begin in the spring of 1993.
- The School of Nursing will provide assistance in developing an
undergraduate degree program at the Complutense. A Complutense faculty
member is expected to study in the combined bachelor/master's degree
program at Penn; faculty exchange will be used to develop the
Complutense's academic program.
- Professor Russell Sebold, of the Romance Languages department,
was invited to teach a graduate seminar at the Complutense in May and
June of 1992. The department expects to receive a Complutense faculty
member in a subsequent academic year.
To index for Penn's International Dimensions.
January 12, 1993
Volume 39 Number 17
Return to Almanac's homepage.
Return to the index for this issue.